Innovation Projects Archive
Fincantieri has been participating for years in projects funded at European level, starting with the FP6 programme.
- FLOWIS (FLOW IN SERVICE); The project aims to develop hydrodynamic investigation techniques to analyse the performance of military vessels' propeller thrusters under 'off-design' conditions. EU funding 271,000 euro
- SRA UPDATE (Captech MARITIME SRA update); The project aims to improve offshore structure security by developing underwater guide and control systems and by boosting intelligence and monitoring capability for ships, submarines and autonomous vessels. EU funding 20,000 euro
- LeanSHIPS (Low Energy And Near to zero emissions Ships); "Innovation Action" aiming at analyzing innovative demonstrators to make new and existing ships more efficient and less polluting. Participant contract n. 636146; EU funding 1,563,000 euro
- HOLISHIP (HOLIstic optimisation of SHIP design and operation for life cycle); "Research and Innovation Action" aiming at minimising the total cost of the ship over its life cycle. Participant contract n. 689074; CUP G32C16000150006; EU funding 520,000 euro
- RAMSSES (Realisation and Demonstration of Advanced Material Solutions for Sustainable and Efficient Ships); "Innovation Action" aiming at identifying advanced materials in the European maritime industry. Participant contract n. 723246; CUP G32C17000240004; EU funding 581,000 euro
Framework Programme 7 (FP7)
• GOALDS (GOAL Based Damage Stability), “Small or medium-scale focused research project” which enabled the introduction of a “Risk Based Design” methodology, now considered as a design objective rather than a constraint imposed by regulations (Design for Safety). Participant, contract no. 233876
• STARNETRegio (STARring a trans-national NETwork of REGIOnal research-driven marine clusters), “CSA-SA” for the definition of a shared R&D agenda between the Friuli Venezia Giulia region, Slovenia and the county of Rijeka (Croatia). Participant, contract no. 204961
• BESST (Breakthrough in European Ship and Shipbuilding Technologies), “Large-scale integrating project” for the introduction of innovative technologies and solutions for the design, construction and analysis of the ship’s entire life cycle. Coordinator, contract no. 233980
• MOSAIC (Materials Onboard: Steel Advancements and Integrated Composites), “Small or medium-scale focused research project” concerning new structural solutions for ships. Participant, contract no. 314037
• GRIP (Green Retrofitting through Improved Propulsion), “Small or medium-scale focused research project” with the aim of reducing fuel consumption in ships by optimising the hull. Participant, contract no. 284905
• MESA (Maritime Europe Strategy Action - FOSTER Waterborne), “Support action” for the definition of an R&I strategy for the transport sector in the EU. Participant, contract no. 604857
• JOULES (Joint Operation for Ultra Low Emission Shipping), “Collaborative project” with the aim of reducing polluting emissions from ships built in Europe. Participant, contract no. 605190
Framework Programme 6 (FP6)
• INMARE (Technologies and Methodologies for Safe, Environmental-friendly and Efficient Shipping Operations of the future), “Coordination action” with the aim of creating, coordinating and integrating different working groups capable of assessing the state of the art and identifying scientific development strategies. Participant, contract no. 506427
• SHIPMATES (SHIPrepair to MAintain Transport which is Environmentally Sustainable), “Specific Targeted Research Project” which aims to develop a new technological roadmap to increase productivity and efficiency while reducing costs. Participant, contract no. 506606
• FLAGSHIP (European Framework for Safe, Efficient and Environmentally Friendly Ship Operations), “Integrated Project” which aims to improve safety in European maritime transport and make it more environmentally friendly by studying on-board systems and procedures, ship management systems on shore, communication interfaces and impact of new technologies, standards and regulations. Participant, contract no. 31406
• MC-WAP (Molten-carbonate fuel Cells for Waterborne APplication), “Integrated Project” on the study of applications of the Molten Carbonate Fuel Cells technology on-board large vessels. Participant, contract no. 19973
• InterSHIP (Integrated collaborative design and production of cruise vessels, passenger ships and RoPax), “Integrated Project” on the application of advanced design and manufacturing techniques. Participant, contract no. 506127
• SAFEDOR (Design, operation and regulation for safety), “Integrated Project” which aims to improve the safety of maritime transport by transforming safety as a ship design objective and the introduction of risk-assessment techniques. Participant, contract no. 516278
JOINT ITALIAN-FRENCH INITIATIVES
• LOGISTICS OF THE FUTURE: the project aims to use innovative technologies capable of rationalizing and improving the life cycle of the ship product. Substantial improvements are expected in industrial processes, on-board operations and ship's operational capabilities after delivery. The purpose of the initiative is to provide the End User with new tools to support daily activities, focusing them especially on inspection, maintenance and equipment management on board. Funding 1.449.000 euro
- OCEAN2020 (Open Cooperation for European mAritime awareNess); The project aims to introduce and increase the use of situational awareness concepts in the maritime environment. Participant contract n. 801697; CUP G32C18000480006; EU funding 250,000 euro
- DEW on Ship (Study on the use of Directed Energy Weapons on Board Naval Ships Against Unmanned Vehicles): the project aims to analyse direct energy weapons and their on-board applicability in anti-UAV, anti-USV e anti-FIAC scenarios. EU funding 18.000 euro
Ministry of Economic Development (MISE)
- ISDM (Data and Process model for smart ship production); The project aims to increase the design process efficiency and integration, in relation to downstream activities (supply chain, procurement, production and after sales). Moreover, the project aims to renovate the support technical systems; Funding 1,500,000 euro
- SIPS (R123) (Innnovative solutions for Satellite Platforms): the project, co-funded by Regione Valle d'Aosta, aims to the development of an articulated arm for space applications, consisting of its own HW and SW complex, functionally suitable for positioning in 3D space and pointing according to an assigned direction an object carried by a satellite. Funding 914,000 euro
- CYMON: the project, funded by the START 4.0 competence centre, aims to develop an hybrd platform – desktop/wearable - (HMD) enabling the integration of an environmental information model (DIGITAL TWIN) by means of augmented reality (AR). Funding 65.145 euro
Ministry of Transport (MIT)
- "Agorà" cruise ship: The project aims, through industrial research and experimental development, to define a cruise ship capable of enhancing the proximity to the sea and ready to be used in new geographical areas and / or markets. CNR and the main Italian universities supported in carrying out of activities with the greatest content of fundamental research. Partially financed with funds under the call L. 190/2014 and DM 10/06/2015.
- Technological Leadership: The project aims, through fundamental and industrial research, and experimental development activities, to acquire new advanced knowledge to be applied in future marine applications and the development of enabling technologies aimed at strengthening Fincantieri's technological leadership. CNR and the main Italian universities supported in carrying out of activities with the greatest content of fundamental research. Partially financed with funds under the call L. 190/2014 and DM 10/06/2015.
- "Project XL" cruise ship: The project aims, through industrial research, experimental development and feasibility studies, to define an innovative large cruise ship with a gross tonnage of approximately 180.000 GRT and capable of accommodating more than 6.300 passengers and 1.800 crew members.
Partially financed with funds under the call L. 190/2014 and DM 10/06/2015.
- Ice Breaker Ship for Oceanographic Research: The project relates to the definition of a new class of ships with a gross tonnage of approximately 9.000 tons, an overall length of 100 m and approximately 21 m wide, in which approximately 55 crew and researchers will be accommodated. CNR and the main Italian universities supported in carrying out of activities with the greatest content of fundamental research. Partially financed with funds under the call L. 190/2014 and DM 10/06/2015.
- "Project Virgin" cruise ship: The project aims, through industrial research, experimental development and feasibility studies, to define a new class of ships, able to completely renew the cruise experience, thanks to original layout and new solutions offering entertainment and comfort, for both passengers and crew. Partially financed with funds under the call L. 190/2014 and DM 10/06/2015.
- Motor yacht over 100m in length: The project aims, through industrial research and experimental development, to redefine a prototype of a large Motor Yacht, collecting cutting-edge solutions enabling experiencing the marine environment with the highest standards of luxury, comfort and safety. Partially financed with funds under the call L. 190/2014 and DM 10/06/2015.
Ministry of Education, Research and University (MIUR)
- PIXIS - Integrated mast for the military ship system
- PRODIFCON - Definition of a tool that provides decision support to the command team
National Military Research Plan (PNRM)
- DECEIVING PROP; The project aims to introduce acoustic camouflage techniques
- Far Seas; The project aims to support the use of lithium batteries for submarines
UPV; The project aims to develop new technologies for autonomous patrol vessels. Funding 192,000 euro
AIP: the project aims to develop a production and management system of synthetic air. Funding 283,000 euro
- DECEIVING PROP – Step 2: project aimed to study generation and propagation mechanisms of noise irradiated by propellers working the in a ship wake and to provide a diagnostic supporting tool for hydro-acoustical and noise propagation issues. Funding 174,000 euros
- AVNT _ FASE 1 (Advanced Virtual Naval Theatre – Poligono di Tiro Mobile Navale): AVNT is a semiautomatic system for measuring the points of drop of projectiles fired from a ship for the evaluation of shooting performance in blue water. The solution consists in a set of naval gyro-stabilized electro-optical turrets, a communication subsystem and a control panel, and constitutes an aid to the development of on-board armaments independently of coastal polygons, range limitations and favoring higher detection accuracy of the bullet drop point. Funding 549,000 euro
- FAR-SEAS 3: the project aims to increase the underwater and operational autonomy of submarine units. Funding 297.000 euro
In Specific regions
Operational Programmes of the European Regional Development Fund 2014-2020
- Friuli Venezia-Giulia Region
- SIDRAN - Immersive Design Review System in the Naval Sector
- PANTAF - Lightened fire protection panels for naval use: Development of a new modular system of internal fire partitions for cruise ships
- MAESTRI (Macro Cabin Modules and Integrated Structures for Cruise Ships)
- PRELICA (Advanced methodologies for hydro-acoustic design of naval propeller)
- Glu&Nav (Innovative products and processes for semi-structural bonding on board); The project aims to develop adhesives for the shipbuilding sector and standardise the bonding application process in order to reduce costs and speed up the application while improving the eco-sustainability of the fitting operations of the ship. CUP n. D43D19000020007; Funding 48,000 euro
- ConfCab (Silent cabin on flooting floors and decoupled decks); The project aims to define, develop and validate innovative technologies which enable to reduce in-cabin noise and vibrations through dismountable pillar, suspension of the cabin separation-walls and and floating floor integrated with the cabin. CUP n. D83D19000000007; Funding 70,000 euro
- SAFE (Realtime damage manager and decision support):.the SAFE project aims to develop new tools and methodologies for the dynamic quantification of damage occurred to a ship. CUP n. D91B19000660007. Funding 290,000 euro
- Liguria Region
- BEN - Criteria for energy efficiency and optimisation of the ship’s electrical balance to reduce environmental impact.
- CYBIC (Cyber Security of Critical Infrastructures); The project aims to develop a new Cyber Security system for the Region's critical port infrastructures. CUP n.G33D18000210007; Funding 183,000 euro
- Valle d'Aosta Region
- TU-CODE (Traçabilité des Utilisateurs pour la COllecte des DÈchets): The project aims to an innovative technological solution for identifying users of the waste transfer and the subsequent data collection related to the transferred waste, reardless the type of collection system (door to door, basement, etc.), to optimize the management system and allow the individual fee attribution. Funding 47,000 euro
- Puglia Region
- MARIN (Remote Environmental Monitoring): the project aims to develop an integrated system composed by an unmanned platform, enabling the environmental motoring, and an on-shore control center, for the platform management. CUP n. B89J19000310007. Funding 1.700.000 euro